sticks and stones....

Need help dealing with the emotional trauma of being a victim of a bully? Post your questions and concerns here and have our supportive community reply with suggestions on how to cope and begin to heal and rebuild your life.

sticks and stones....

Postby manual » Wed May 30, 2012 1:13 pm

When I was young my parents used to tell me that "sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt you". They were right that words could never break my bones like stick and stones would but they do still hurt. Sometimes the one thing that kids make fun of you for is what bothers you too. I remember kids calling me fat boy when I was in school and crying to my mom when I came home. She used to tell me that I just havent grown out of my baby fat yet. Try telling kids at school that you just have baby fat and see if that helps....it does not.I think the basic concept they were trying to get through to me is that if you can deal with someone calling you names its a lot better than them trying to hurt you physically. Learning to act like stuff doesnt bother you is the skill you should work on. If you can roll your eyes and walk away after you are insulted you will deter any bully from wanting to bother you because they dont like your reaction. If you dont care what they say then they wont either.
manual

Re: sticks and stones....

Postby Chiller » Thu May 31, 2012 1:02 pm

That is the best way to combat a bully is showing them that you arent bothered by them. They will say hurtful things because their intent is to make you feel pain so it is hard when the words hurt and it does tear you up inside but the more you show it the more you will have to deal with it. Acting like it doesnt hurt may not be fun but you will only have to do it for a short time because if you dont let it hurt then they will try to find another victim. :D
Chiller

Postby Swipe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Words do hurt. We all know that and have been very hurt by words before. Anyone who says something mean to you is just trying to get a reaction so if you dont give them one they wont be interested in saying mean things to you anymore because they think it doesnt bother you.
Swipe

Postby Jansport » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Words can strike you to your core and hurt worse then any fist could ever do. Why is it that so many kids know the thing to say to you that you are most insecure about and expose you bringing your nightmares to life. There is no parenting that will avoid a bullying confrontation with hurtful names. Kids sometimes just do the wrong thing to push the limits.
Jansport

Postby durango777 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Chiller wrote :
> That is the best way to combat a bully is showing them that you arent
> bothered by them. They will say hurtful things because their intent is to
> make you feel pain so it is hard when the words hurt and it does tear you
> up inside but the more you show it the more you will have to deal with it.
> Acting like it doesnt hurt may not be fun but you will only have to do it
> for a short time because if you dont let it hurt then they will try to find
> another victim. :D

Great advice chiller! If they dont see you in pain they wont be interested.
durango777

Postby marbles » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Sit in your room and think about everything that someone can call you and think of a witty comeback for them all. When you have enough in your head start letting them fly in front of other classmates and when you get their laughs from your comebacks it will make your bullies afraid of saying something to you because you will make them look dumb in the process.
marbles

Postby be*tupbad » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Words can hurt very bad but like others have mentioned above you cannot let it be noticable. When you appear to be hurt by a comment it gives a bully an idea that he can get under your skin by saying this so now the thing that bothers you will keep festering because they will be relentless. All adults know that words hurt but the trick is to play it off like you arent bothered.
be*tupbad

Postby Walter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:53 am

marbles wrote :
> Sit in your room and think about everything that someone can call you and
> think of a witty comeback for them all. When you have enough in your head
> start letting them fly in front of other classmates and when you get their
> laughs from your comebacks it will make your bullies afraid of saying
> something to you because you will make them look dumb in the process.

I used to do this with my older brother because they would always make me look stupid in front of my friends so I would try to think of all the things they make fun of me for and start coming up with the best replies to I would make them never want to say it again. It worked until they would get mad and just beat me up.
Walter

Postby PowerX5 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 am

My parents used to say that to me when I would tell them about what other kids say and I would always say but mom the words are bad too and I dont like it! I think paying closer attention to what happens inside of our schools now is better than making up old saying that we know are not true.
PowerX5

Postby Spartan05 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 am

When I was younger I would take the beatings but its the mean things they would say that would hurt me the most. The bruises go away after a few days but those words circle in your mind over and over until you convince yourself they are wrong or you agree with them which makes you even more depressed.
Spartan05

Next

Return to Bully Victim Emotional Support

Chat: Enter