Did I deserve being bullied?

Need help dealing with the emotional trauma of being a victim of a bully? Post your questions and concerns here and have our supportive community reply with suggestions on how to cope and begin to heal and rebuild your life.

Did I deserve being bullied?

Postby frakctured » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:07 pm

I was bullied by my brother for almost 10 years. Yeah, I know, siblings fight all the time. The thing is that I have OCD, Tourette's, and was a bed-wetter for about 4 years. My self esteem was pretty much nonexistent.

He used to make fun of my Tourette's. One time, I told my brother that I wanted to become a pilot. He told me that because I have Tourette's, I can't. Thus started our most memorable fight. I got so upset that I ended up throwing a pillow at him. It missed, and I hit his laptop instead. He got so pissed that he charged at me.

He made fun of my only friend as well. My friend was hated by nearly everyone growing up, and I soon saw my brother as a jerk who picked on weak people.

My brother was also a jerk to my parents, which further fueled my dislike for him.

He used to call me so many mean names that I was never allowed to say to him. He repeatedly shot me down in public whenever I tried talking.

I am frequently accused of being "emotionless". I think I know why.

And yet, I sometimes feel like I deserved to be the target. Back then, I was a HUGE crybaby, probably due to my mental issues. I was overly-sensitive. I didn't know the difference between helpful criticism and genuinely hurtful comments.

What do you guys think?
frakctured

Re: Did I deserve being bullied?

Postby chickenBone » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:23 am

Your brother is a huge jerk and you didnt deserve that. You can pick your friends but you cant pick your family. I also had problems with my older sibling bullying me. Instead of choosing to be my best friend and have a better relationship than anything she would make lies to my parents and get me in trouble for fun. The only way you can overcome is to just ignore them and when people ask you why you act that way you can fill them in and people will slowly begin to take your side and stick up for you when you are being bullied
chickenBone

Postby XportED » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Do you have a relationship with your brother today?
XportED

Postby TexasHorns » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:32 pm

I think it is natural for some people to shut down when they are in a tough place like being bullied. Shutting down is a mechanism to avoid having your feelings hurt all the time. The problem with this is if you dont deal with your feelings you can alter your personality in a negative way. It is okay to feel vulnerable and it is okay to feel pain. We all feel it but you have to learn to embrace those emotions and then properly move on with your life in a healthy way. Might help the process to tell your brother about how you feel today as a result of his bullying and he might help you with your recovery by hearing an apology from him.
TexasHorns

Postby Sing4it » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:02 am

Blood or not if I was bullied for 10+ years I would not have a relationship with that person. You can choose your friends but you cannot choose your family. However, when you turn 18 you can choose to which family members you want in your life.
Sing4it

Postby ArtLife » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:32 pm

If you bully someone for their disease you are cold hearted and if you bully your own sister you are pure evil
ArtLife

Postby GoBuffs » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:27 pm

I think if you want to be a pilot dont listen to what your negative brother says
GoBuffs

Postby Katie7822 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:51 am

@frakctured

Nobody deserves to be bullied! I hate it when siblings are so vicious to each other growing up. That should be the best relationship that you have and he decides to ruin that. You keep your chin up and ignore people that treat you like that.
Katie7822

Postby RedDawg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:32 am

Nobody should ever think that the deserve to be bullied
RedDawg

Postby ultim0 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:06 pm

I think im sorry you had a brother that treated you like that growing up.I was really close with my brother and we love each other now as adults.Did you ever try to become a pilot?
ultim0

Return to Bully Victim Emotional Support

Chat: Enter