What punishment works best

Want to know why some people bully others and their reasoning behind their hurtful actions? Ask your questions here and have a reformed, repentant bully answer and help you understand why they bullied people in the first place.

What punishment works best

Postby RedWhiteandBlue » Wed May 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Do you remember when you were a bully and getting punished for what you did? What do you think is not the right way to punish kids that bully? What do you think is the right way to punish a bully? If there was a very stern punishment for bullying would that help or hurt this problem?
RedWhiteandBlue

Re: What punishment works best

Postby duckhunt » Fri May 18, 2012 2:37 pm

I never was big enough to bully myself but I do remember a boy named Kenny Thompson that used to bully anytime there wasnt a teacher around. He was sent to the principals office once a week for bullying and he got sympathy from the office. They would never punish him because they believed he had a rough uprbinging but he fed off of that. He would play little innocent kid in the office and laugh in his victim's faces because he knew nothing would ever happen to him. When kids know that if they do something wrong and a harsh punishment follows then they are probably not going to do that. All it takes is one kid to step out of line and you make an example of them. If a prinicipal gave you 3 months of after school detention that may be a start. If you had to stay after school for a few more hours then everyone else for a long period of time it would make you feel excluded from the rest of the kids. This exclusion is what usually beings problem kids around. They just want to be able to participate and when you take that away from them they get the message. Either act well behaved and get along with everyone or you cant be a part of the group anymore. Seclusion in my experience is the best form of punishment for a kid.
duckhunt

Postby unique » Mon May 21, 2012 1:24 pm

i would say that not giving them the recess or lunch breaks where they have time to be alone with the other students. That is where most of the bullying will happen when there isnt direct supervision. I would even go as far as making the kid report to school 30 min before class begins and stay 30 min after it ends so it gives the kids that they bully time to get away. You can even take their passing period away from them by holding them until the bell rings then releasing them with a note from the teacher.This will make sure any contact they have with students will be in the classroom.
unique

Postby Rangez7 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:28 pm

Yes taking away the fun things in their social lives will bring some kids to tears.Most of the time the bullies are the popular kids so being constantly around their friends is all they seem to care about. If you take that away and make them understand that if they want to be a part of the crowd they need to play nice even with the kids they dont like then they should get the message.
Rangez7

Postby StudyME » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:45 pm

What about asking the bully to come up with their own punishment based off of how they think their actions should be properly punished. When the bully gives themself a harsh punishment you can say now that I know you know it is wrong this will be your punishment from now on. If it is too soft then you decide for them and make it really tough and explain that this has to be done because the bully does not understand how severe the situation is you have to show them how they should be punished. EIther way you get your point accrossed.
StudyME

Postby 82BreeBaby » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:24 pm

I think if you treat them like they are adults which is who they are acting like when they attack others then they will finally understand why adults dont fight all the time.
82BreeBaby

Postby Unleash » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Would spanking your kid that is a bully just make matters worse?
Unleash

Postby pleasingpast » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Unleash wrote :
> Would spanking your kid that is a bully just make matters worse?

No I was spanked as a kid because I started a fight and it freaked me out to the point where I dont ever start fights now I always let them make the first move. If you spank them then you are not making matters worse just showing them that their actions will hurt them as well.
pleasingpast

Postby Verbal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:17 pm

We need to bring back spanking. If you get spanked it makes you not want to get spanked again. You only get spanked when you do bad things so if you get spanked hard enough you will never want to do that again so I think it works really good on kids.
Verbal

Postby MarkAble » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 pm

I think spanking is still the best way to teach kids about punishment.Using your hand is not child abuse. Belts and tools used for spanking is child abuse.
MarkAble

Next

Return to Ask a Former Bully

Chat: Enter