Public Speaking

Want to know why some people bully others and their reasoning behind their hurtful actions? Ask your questions here and have a reformed, repentant bully answer and help you understand why they bullied people in the first place.

Public Speaking

Postby 4instance » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:03 am

If you are a former bully and you want to right all of your wrongs, would you consider contacting a principal of a local school and offer to give back? Ask if you would be welcomed to visit the school and speak to the students about how you used to bully and why you understand the negative impacts it has on children. Even if you can convince one bully to stop bothering other students then you have done your job well done. It is very important to reach out to kids and teach them the right way to conduct themselves. Stating that you are a former bully will give you more credibility when you show them how much you have changed since you were younger.
4instance

Re: Public Speaking

Postby Genie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Being a role model for kids is always needed in our schools. Im sure they would prefer you have some tie to the school like you used to attend or your kid currently does. I think maybe offering to mentor troubled kids would be helpful too. Like a big brother or big sister program for the kids that are having trouble fitting in. You could teach them a few things that they can bring back to their friends in social cicumstances and hopefully help them gel a little better while in school. Maybe they just arent good at socializing and all it takes is a little help from someone like you. Speaking to the school in an assembly could reach more kids at once but a big brother program is a little more personal and you can have more of an effect on them that way.
Genie

Postby YoungN » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:53 am

Great idea! There is not a school in the nation that wouldnt love to have a guest speaker that informs their students about the dangers of bullying. Giving back to the children in your community should be more recognized. We should show people how regular citizens take time out of their day to come visit kids and be a positive figure in their lives. Changing just ONE kids life is worth it!
YoungN

Postby ALLgood » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:30 pm

I am involved with the PTA in my area and we always agree that any informational speakers with ties to the community are always welcome to come speak. It doesnt happen over night because there must be scheduling open for someone to come in but as long as there is time you are welcome. Children need to make a connection with the people they are listening too and if you explain that you used to go to the same school and be just like them they will be more willing to pay attention.

Bullying being such an important topic right now I would assume that the school district would also be obliged to have a bully speaker that has a positive message to spread.
ALLgood

Postby buttonhook » Fri May 04, 2012 2:37 pm

You owe it to your community to speak in front of the school you attended. I remember whenever older people would come to my school and say they used to go to my school it would make me feel like I could listen to them because they knew what I was going through. Its about that connection that you need to make with the students so they will change from your direction. I know the kids will want to hear about how you have changed and you know they can change to if they really want to.
buttonhook

Postby shimmy » Mon May 14, 2012 2:46 pm

When I was a kid I remember being happy to get out of class for any guest speaker but the ones that I really listened to were the cops and the people trying to help me. I was always trying to better myself since I came from a bad neighborhood and the only time I could do that was at school. The only really good role models were the people that came in to tell us how to grow up and be successful. Anyone who has had experience with bullies growing up will really make a difference if they decide to talk to the kids at school. I know the kids really love it and you really do help them become better people just by leading them.
shimmy

Postby Frisco » Wed May 30, 2012 2:33 pm

I remember when I was in school and the war on drugs was the most popular thing at the time so they had the DARE program which taught us about drugs and why they were bad. I think they should make a group that goes around to the schools and teaches kids why its not ok to bully their classmates. I would say bullying is our biggest problem in school now so that is the place where it needs to be addressed.
Frisco

Postby AllSquaredUP » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:42 pm

You can also contact the police department and ask to speak to troubled teens that are either at opp school or juvenile dentention. If you can reach out to those kids who are in desperate need of a good role models you can really change their direction in life by taking the time to show them you care.
AllSquaredUP

Postby Minnie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Any local Boys and Girls club locations I know would be glad to have a public speaker and you can reach out to many kids that come from families that need a good role model in their lives.
Minnie

Postby Murray » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Speaking and showing kids that grown ups can do the right thing gives the kids hope. When kids that come from broken homes that dont have role models they only see bad stuff. When the adults do bad things then they think everyone is messed up in the world. It takes a strong person to want to help a kid that is being bullied and if you can make a difference in their life then you have made your mark on this planet
Murray

Next

Return to Ask a Former Bully

Chat: Enter