Scared Straight

What do you wish would change? Post your thoughts here.

Scared Straight

Postby reading » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:15 pm

I dont know if any of you are familiar with the television show "Scared Straight" but I think it is a very good method to reform a problematic child. The show takes kids ranging in age from 8 to 17 and they show them what life is like behind prison walls. They let kids meet inmates that teach the kids that they are on the same path as they were when they were young. The inmates tell stories of what they used to do on the outside before they became state property. Since nobody can get through to these troubled teens they try to get the men who they are aspiring to be like to convince them that the life they are living is not right and they must change. There are some kids that ignore their lessons no matter how hard the inmates and police officers try they cant get through to every kid but the majority of the kids that go through this program really do change for the better.

This could be a very good program for a child who has taken the life of a bully to meet men that convince them that there is always someone bigger and meaner so shape up or you will eventually run into your worst nightmare.
reading

Re: Scared Straight

Postby Eraseh8 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:56 pm

I love this show with a capital L. Its perfect for kids that are on the brink of self destruction because they think they know it all and when they see a real criminal they figure out quick that they are nothing compared to whats behind those jail doors. This could work for bullies too because these men are all so intimidating that if they show the bully what its like to have someone picking on you with a feeling of hopelessness then it might change their perspective. I like it and I wish parents would seek out this kind of problem if they cannot discipline their kids anymore.
Eraseh8

Postby YellProud » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I have never watched this show but it sounds pretty interesting. Do they allow the inmates to make contact with the kids or is it like a haunted house where they just scare you? That is probably helpful for the inmates too because they feel like they are doing something positive for society even though they are still locked up. All around you get a lot of positive changes and entertaining television at the same time. Is this show only dont for males or with they do it for troubled teenage girls too?
YellProud

Postby honkhonk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Great show and a good concept and that is a great example of tough love. When you know that they need help and you cant give it to them you have to let go and put your faith in that program . It can do a lot of good if they are out of control. These shows have some real life hard criminals that will open these kids eyes. This is what you need when the situation is too much for you to handle.
honkhonk

Postby hinge » Thu May 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Sometimes when I watch this show I cant tell if the inmates are trying to be extra mean to the kids to scare them or if that is what it is really like. Either way they make this kids almost wet their pants with how often they get so close to them and scream. One field trip to the jail and you come out a straight A student so you never have to go back.
hinge

Postby WAITING » Wed May 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Great idea for a tv show but you would have to have so many people ok with that before it could be passed. I wish they would just discipline the kids at home so the world didnt have to help them with their problem children. They have books and professional that can offer help but some parents are just too lazy to raise their own.
WAITING

Postby UNcommon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:17 pm

They should turn this idea into a show. They can follow around the bully at school and film him from very far doing bad things when he thinks he is not being watched to show their true side. Then you take them into the pen and let them meet the permanent guests and see how bad they are after that. Then the camera should show how they treat kids in school after and I bet the change is incredible.
UNcommon

Postby abstract » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:52 pm

UNcommon wrote :
> They should turn this idea into a show. They can follow around the bully at
> school and film him from very far doing bad things when he thinks he is not
> being watched to show their true side. Then you take them into the pen and
> let them meet the permanent guests and see how bad they are after that.
> Then the camera should show how they treat kids in school after and I bet
> the change is incredible.

I would watch it for sure. I would think that it would be hard for a kid to bully others when I camera is following them around. Most of the time bullying takes place where nobody can see or stop it.
abstract

Postby SpreadOut » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:58 am

Have any of the kids on that show ever get arrested right after the show and end up in prison anyway?
SpreadOut

Postby marigold » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 pm

SpreadOut wrote :
> Have any of the kids on that show ever get arrested right after the show
> and end up in prison anyway?

OH yeah. There are some kids that are too hard headed to understand what they are really doing until it is too late. You can only lead a horse to water but you cant force it to drink.
marigold

Next

Return to A Bully Wish List

Chat: Enter