Helpless

Have advice for parents of a bullied kid? What can they do? How can they help?

Helpless

Postby Kates » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Do you ever feel helpless as a parent when you child is begging for your help and you dont have the answers? What happened?
Kates

Re: Helpless

Postby DirtRd » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:51 am

Absolutely, I remember one day my daughter was wating outside of her school and I could tell that she had been crying. When I asked her she didnt want to talk about it so I had to wait until she calmed down. I found out later that night that she wanted to tryout for the cheer team and I remember her being excited about it. When I asked her what happened she started crying again and begin to tell me that some of the boys in her class said that ugly girls are supposed to be cheerleaders. You could imagine how I felt trying to console a 12 year old girl that thinks the world is over because boys dont like her. I told her that she was beautiful and she screamed that I was just saying that. She ran to her room and locked herself in and I began to cry. I really didnt know what I could do as a mother and all I wanted was for my little girl to be happy again. That was one of the toughest times for me because I really did feel helpless and as a parent that is the last thing that you want to feel.
DirtRd

Postby WestBrookings » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Girls that age hate listening to their parents and think that you know nothing and they have all the answers. You just have to wait it out and keep reminding them that you are there if they need any help you will always be there.
WestBrookings

Postby DrRight » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:36 am

The fact that you were there to listen is most important. Letting her air out her feelings and feel better about them will help her recover. Sometimes parents try to solve all the problems but the reality is that you can only help so much. Just be there to be the one they can count on to listen and try to figure out the best thing together.
DrRight

Postby 4scores » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Girls tend to overreact about things even though your heart breaks for them they will usually end up just fine.
4scores

Postby ReadUP » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Just being there helped a lot :)
ReadUP

Postby AmberWaves » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:13 pm

I feel helpless when my kids tell me to make it stop and I tell them im trying baby im trying but I know there is nothing that I can do.
AmberWaves

Postby ringy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:13 am

I am so glad I have 2 sons because I know how to talk to boys but if I had a girl my head would be spinning trying to make them happy
ringy

Postby Bazooka » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 am

WestBrookings wrote :
> Girls that age hate listening to their parents and think that you know
> nothing and they have all the answers. You just have to wait it out and
> keep reminding them that you are there if they need any help you will
> always be there.

Kids in general hate listening to anyone and think they have all the answers
Bazooka

Postby PlanB » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:54 am

I feel helpless and I dont even have kids. When you try to solve a bullying problem there is always so much red tape. Dont hurt the bully's feelings! What about the kid who is being bullied. You shouldnt have to be nice to a kid that is a bully. When they are being irresponsible hateful little brats thats how they should be treated. They know its not okay to bully others so when they do they should be seperated entirely from the group and told if you dont like following rules you will be alone in life. That is the message we have to send.
PlanB

Next

Return to Parents of a Bullied Kid

Chat: Enter