Fighting advice ok?

Have advice for parents of a bullied kid? What can they do? How can they help?

Fighting advice ok?

Postby SWart » Wed May 30, 2012 1:00 pm

If you are a parent that has to watch their child come home with visible marks on he or she from bullies at school is it ok to tell them to fight back?
SWart

Re: Fighting advice ok?

Postby Chiller » Thu May 31, 2012 12:56 pm

I believe you should always say that if you need to protect yourself and you cant run away you can fight but dont ever start a fight or bully someone.
Chiller

Postby FantasyGal » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:14 pm

I dont have a child but I would tell them that they area allowed to fight back only if they cant run or scream for help.I would be afraid that if they got too comfortable with fighting that they would lose respect for his peers and end up a bully himself.
FantasyGal

Postby YellowLight » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:04 pm

If your child fights in middle school you shouldnt be alarmed because that is around the age when boys start testing their strength and trying to become the alpha male. Its when your child is in highschool you should be worried if they are fighting. High school should be taken a little more seriously when they are fighting because they are reaching adulthood and if they associate fighting as something that is ok then its only a matter of time before they get in a fight off school grounds and end up seriously injured or arrested.
YellowLight

Postby bestpal » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Yes it is ok to me. I would want them to at least try to defend themself. If they were being beaten up and not fighting back because they were taught that it is never ok to fight then that is so bad for that kid. You should be able to fight under those circumstances.
bestpal

Postby surveysays » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Absolutely is ok to tell them to fight back. You cannot go to school with the advice that you should never fight. The first time they run into a bully they could be hurt badly if they dont defend themself. If you have a child make it clear not to fight but also make it clear to not get beat up without trying to defend yourself.
surveysays

Postby eagles88 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:45 pm

As long as you dont just say fight anyone you dont like.There has to be boundries in place and if one is crossed you face a stiff punishment. Starting a fight should never be tollerated by any parent. Even if it was for a good deed like protecting a friend you let them know violence isnt ok ever when you are at school. School is the key here. You cannot have them green lighted for fighting while they are at school because then they could be itching to start fights with enemies. The only time its ok is when you are being attacked and you have to fight back to protect yourself.
eagles88

Postby CopperHead » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Its ok when the kid they fight is a bully but its not ok when they just fight because of a disagreement. The good parents will get that point across so there is no confusion.
CopperHead

Postby SpiritLeader » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes yes yes. Fighting isnt bad when its in the right context. As long as the understand that fighting is not something that every makes anyone happy and you will always have consequences then they will understand. You cannot prevent them from getting punished either. Even if you told them that it was okay to fight you have to be clear that if they get in trouble from school then they have to live with whatever the consequence are and that was their choice.
SpiritLeader

Postby WhaleWhatcher » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Chiller wrote :
> I believe you should always say that if you need to protect yourself and
> you cant run away you can fight but dont ever start a fight or bully
> someone.

Well said :D
WhaleWhatcher

Next

Return to Parents of a Bullied Kid

Chat: Enter