Parent/Teacher conference

Have advice for parents of a bullied kid? What can they do? How can they help?

Parent/Teacher conference

Postby Cubbies » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 am

You can schedule to meet with your child's teacher and not let your child be aware of this meeting to protect them from potential embarrassment. Explain to the teacher that you are worried about how the other students are treating your son or daughter and ask if they have any tips or maybe you could provide the teacher with some solutions that you have. I think it is important to stay involved in your kids school life especially if they are having bullying problems. Do not be afraid to contact their school counselor or prinicipal and try to resolve the bullying problem. The face to face time with the teachers and counselors is vital when trying to solve these issues and although it may disrupt your professional or social life to schedule such meetings it shouldn't be an issue if your child's welfare is at stake. You are not asking too much for the care of your son or daughter so dont feel like you are asking for special treatment because it is not. All you are asking is for a fair shot for your child which they deserve.
Cubbies

Re: Parent/Teacher conference

Postby Atoms » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:28 pm

You should always have an open line of communication with your kids teacher. You should both feel comfortable calling and speaking about any topic involving your kid so they get the best attention that they need. I would say 2 phone calls a month and maybe a face to face meeting at least once every 2 months or once a month just to make sure that their school work is up to par and they are not being mistreated by any of the students. If you show this kind of effort to the teacher they will be inspired to do much for your kid than others because they know important it is to you.
Atoms

Postby MrsBrown » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:35 pm

What if your child's teacher thinks that the bullying isnt as excessive as you do? Do you go over the teachers head?
MrsBrown

Postby Aftermath » Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 pm

MrsBrown wrote :
> What if your child's teacher thinks that the bullying isnt as excessive as
> you do? Do you go over the teachers head?

Then you have to go to the school board and tell them that you have a problem with the teacher helping your child and that will give the teacher a little nudge in the right direction ;)
Aftermath

Postby Standards » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:55 pm

If you have to go over the teacher's head then wont the teacher then mistreat your child once they find out you went over them?
Standards

Postby samurai » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Standards wrote :
> If you have to go over the teacher's head then wont the teacher then
> mistreat your child once they find out you went over them?

Then you go over their head again and make sure that you have proof that they are treating your child differently.
samurai

Postby Unleash » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:04 pm

What would be an appropriate way for approaching a counselor about your child being bullied without coming off as a wacko parent?
Unleash

Postby Dreamer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:43 pm

I was the worst kid growing up and my parents had about 40-50 of these meetings. If you are having problems then the teachers will make the time. Things will get done and they will get dont right if you take the time. I knew I drove my parents crazy taking time off work but I know that if they didnt I would have been getting into a lot more trouble as I grew older.
Dreamer

Postby Barron » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Dreamer wrote :
> I was the worst kid growing up and my parents had about 40-50 of these
> meetings. If you are having problems then the teachers will make the time.
> Things will get done and they will get dont right if you take the time. I
> knew I drove my parents crazy taking time off work but I know that if they
> didnt I would have been getting into a lot more trouble as I grew older.

How did the counselors help you and your parents in those meetings?
Barron

Postby PotPottam » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 pm

MrsBrown wrote :
> What if your child's teacher thinks that the bullying isnt as excessive as
> you do? Do you go over the teachers head?

Call the media and have them report that they are not helping your kid and the pressure will force them to make a change
PotPottam

Next

Return to Parents of a Bullied Kid

Chat: Enter