Respectful disagreement

Is your dad telling you to stop crying and toughen up? How do you get him to listen?

Re: Respectful disagreement

Postby MeerAkul » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:50 pm

My brother was bullied by our father and there was no room for a respectful disagreement. It was my fathers way or no way at all. If you didnt like it then he didnt care. Its seriously troubling to watch your sibling live a different life than you when they are being bullied just for being a boy. Anytime my brother would say something my dad called it back talk and told him to shut up.
MeerAkul

Postby MizCeeDub » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:22 am

Always respect your parents. Whether right or wrong, parents need respect. If a situation seems intense, walk away from it until you both can settle down and reflect on what has been said. Always be respectful. Yes, we all deserve respect too, but usually parents who bully, usually feel respect is automatically there. That's why they bully.
MizCeeDub

Postby crowed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 pm

I feel like the parents that demand respect even when they are terribly wrong and verbally abusive tend to not get a lot of respect from co workers or friends so they demand it from kids. Kind of goes back to the whole when you are bullied you go bully someone else to feel better.
crowed

Postby MizCeeDub » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:47 am

crowed wrote :
> I feel like the parents that demand respect even when they are terribly
> wrong and verbally abusive tend to not get a lot of respect from co workers
> or friends so they demand it from kids. Kind of goes back to the whole when
> you are bullied you go bully someone else to feel better.
I agree. Even happens when there is an over controlling father or boyfriend in house, and mom bullies the kids. Its a sad cycle that we need to break....
MizCeeDub

Postby Host5 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 am

I taught my kids to always question authority because I dont want them to become submissive.I believe that they have a right to ask why they have been told to do something.I feel like when I explain why they are doing something it allows them to fully grasp my directions and it stick with them longer.
Host5

Postby MizCeeDub » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Host5 wrote :
> I taught my kids to always question authority because I dont want them to
> become submissive.I believe that they have a right to ask why they have
> been told to do something.I feel like when I explain why they are doing
> something it allows them to fully grasp my directions and it stick with
> them longer.

This is great advice. Very good!!! Thanks for sharing!!
MizCeeDub

Postby Daretodream » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:16 pm

No matter what, if you have to disagree on something, with regard for others personal opinion, beliefs and feelings, do it respectfully. Agree to disagree and voice your thoughts in a non threatening manner.
Daretodream

Postby SundayLove7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 am

That's true. Some dads don't want to hear it though. take your time and you can get the message threw to him.
SundayLove7

Postby duncanhinescakes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Write a letter if you feel your words won't work. Sometimes people can better understand and comprehend what is being said when they can reflect on words.
duncanhinescakes

Postby PoppaG » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:32 pm

I am a father of two sons and I always told them that they can question what I do and I will explain but its not up for negotiation. When I say something is for your own good its because I have been there before and even if you dont like it at the time you will grow to be a man that can accomplish anything he wants and that was my goal that I kept. No matter how many times I made them upset and they thought I was "bullying" them I was being strong for them.Now they are men and still love me so I did it right.
PoppaG

PreviousNext

Return to My Dad Thinks I am a "Wuss"

Chat: Enter