Is there a "right way" to raise a child

Is your dad telling you to stop crying and toughen up? How do you get him to listen?

Re: Is there a "right way" to raise a child

Postby Walter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 am

MrClean wrote :
> Its hard to say what is right but very easy to say what the wrong way and
> the wrong way would be constantly rude and crude and having no regard for
> their feelings as an individual.

Some might say they are being so harsh to prepare them from the harsh world
Walter

Postby covering » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:01 am

I think when you become a parent you figure out that there is no real guide that has all the answers. All you can do is try to be there for them when it gets too rough and help them through it. Whatever mistakes your parents made you will try to correct but when you do it starts a whole new set of problems and barriers to overcome. Just keep the love and always try to stay together no matter what happens.
covering

Postby Spartan05 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:36 am

There is a right and a wrong way to raise a child just variations to each rule. The basic needs of a child obviously, food,water, shelter but the lessons you teach them are very important to their maturation process. Will you spank or punish. Will you yell or never raise your voice. We all think that the things that affected us negatively will not happen to our own children. Although this is a good start it doesnt mean you will protect them from all forms of bad in this world. The right way to raise a kid is attention. Lots of it and you can determine the details as you go along.
Spartan05

Postby jalapeno » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 am

All a kid needs in love and direction the rest will fall into place
jalapeno

Postby MizCeeDub » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:27 am

A child needs to learn right from wrong and they need to learn through a parent who practices what they preach. My ex used to hit me, but would yell at our son for getting loud with me, or telling me to shut up. He sees dad doing it, so, he would do it. Guiding a child is hard, because as parents, we don't always do right. Its safe to let them stumble as life lessons, so long as it doesn't harm them. Kids are so impressionable. Just watch what you and DONT do in front of them. You have to use the same courtesy with your children that you want them to display on public, such as please and thank you.
MizCeeDub

Postby RandyJ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 pm

MizCeeDub
Did you ever have a problem with your son bullying anyone at school because of what he was exposed to?
RandyJ

Postby MizCeeDub » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 pm

RandyJ wrote :
> MizCeeDub
> Did you ever have a problem with your son bullying anyone at school because
> of what he was exposed to?
No, not really. He does have other issues and was bullied a lot because he wouldn't conform to the "gangs". But he by all means is not an angel. He doesn't hit females, because he was always very protective of me and tried to step in a few times when I was being abused. But he does have a mouth. I always ask him to put the girl in my shoes, and how he felt when I was called names. So, now that he is 19, he is learning a lot. He never bullied to my knowledge, but was often bullied and therefore had to defend himself. He was jumped a few times after school. He did have a bad temper and often was withdrawn, but never bullied anyone. My ex bullied him as well, so, he felt more sympathy for those being bullied and number one reason why he never would join the gangs. I think the bullying I endured during childhood and teen years, what my ex did, and my son and daughter being bullied is what made me want to advocate for victims of bullying.
Thanks you for asking.
MizCeeDub

Postby HeavyP1988 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 am

I vote for more positive enforcement, not negative. That does work on some kids, I've seen many fathers use negative comments and the kids figured it out.
HeavyP1988

Postby pinkiejay » Mon May 06, 2013 11:57 am

Some of these "right way" to raise kids need to be adopted in pregnancy and child raising books. Some don't get it, and lack the education themselves to teach their kids to not be bullies.
pinkiejay

Postby LoveNU2Much23 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:26 am

The negative reinforcement works on some kids, but horribly backfires on others. As for the 1st question: I think the parent should guide the kids through the harder challenges in life.
LoveNU2Much23

PreviousNext

Return to My Dad Thinks I am a "Wuss"

Chat: Enter