Is there a "right way" to raise a child

Is your dad telling you to stop crying and toughen up? How do you get him to listen?

Is there a "right way" to raise a child

Postby ChickenSoup » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Is there a right or wrong way to raise a child? Some would argue that as long as the child is safe and fed then they are doing everything. Some would say that you need to guide your child along every step of life and allow them to learn through you and others believe they should learn everything on their own within reason. If a child believes his father thinks he is a wimp would you consider this a teaching method by the father or being a insensitive parent?
ChickenSoup

Re: Is there a "right way" to raise a child

Postby martina » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:39 pm

No. That is what makes the world full of different people. There is no set guide lines that you can raise your child and they will turn out successful and happy. You may choose to stay so involved in their lives so they dont make a bad choice but then they might feel like you are suffocating then and rebel. Others may try the approach where they are in charge of their own actions and the child can become lost and amek many mistakes that would have been avoided if you stepped in and now they blame you for not caring enough. I dotn believe in any right way to do things its just simply that you have to love and try your best and hope for everything to turn out okay.
martina

Postby BEEEEZ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:27 pm

You just have to stay open minded because there is no handbook that will tell you about everything in every situation and when you get to those pivotal moments where you dont know what to do just follow your heart and try your best to be compassionate. When you parent coming from a loving place your children can feel it.
BEEEEZ

Postby Smarty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 am

The only thing you should be worried about is keeping them safe from being hurt physically and making sure they get an education and stay well fed. When you start going into the details of raising a kid there are so many different routes that you cannot just say this is right and that is wrong. You just need to love them and help them grow into productive adults.
Smarty

Postby ProudDad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:01 pm

My name is Charles and I have 3 sons. 25,18, and 15. Its wasnt always the best of times but I did raise them to be strong and to be respectful.Sometimes I had to do things that I knew would hurt their feelings but it was best for them in the long run. If you love you child then you will raise them to the best of your ability.Just because they arent everything you hoped for doesnt mean you failed or they didnt follow direction. Everyone has a right to be who they want and you should be proud of them. I love my boys and I would do anything for them including having them mad at me because I had to make sure nothing happened to them.
ProudDad

Postby Verbal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:18 pm

I would say that the wrong way to raise a child is to make them think that they are wrong for the way they feel. If you want your son to play sports but they would rather stay inside and read books you should never judge them for that. They will be who they are and to force them into things that you like is selfish.
Verbal

Postby MrClean » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Its hard to say what is right but very easy to say what the wrong way and the wrong way would be constantly rude and crude and having no regard for their feelings as an individual.
MrClean

Postby Mojo55 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:57 pm

I think loving them and showing them that you are only trying to guide them but ultimately its their decisions that will impact their lives. I like to raise my kids with the thought that you are responsible for your own actions and mom and dad are only here to help you out when you cannot figure it out on your own.
Mojo55

Postby marbles » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 pm

The only people that think that their way is the best way are the severe right wing bible thumping folks who think that their way is always the best way. The truth is every kid is different in their own way and will respond to different methods so you cannot just choose one way and stick with it because you will have varrying results.
marbles

Postby Partial » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:43 am

What is something that every parent can agree on that you shouldnt do when raising a kid that is bullying others?
Partial

Next

Return to My Dad Thinks I am a "Wuss"

Chat: Enter