Confidence

Is your dad telling you to stop crying and toughen up? How do you get him to listen?

Re: Confidence

Postby BlueJay » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am

My dad was very hard on me when I was growing up, he did not let me speak to him as if we were equals. He would never have a heart to heart with me and when I tried to tell him he was not listening to me he would either belt me or ground me and the conversation was over. Some kids have dads that are just like this and that makes it very hard to have any confidence to approach him about anything. You are almost at his mercy when you have a dad like this.
BlueJay

Postby rainbows3 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Has your dad lightened up since you have grown up?
rainbows3

Postby MizCeeDub » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 am

This is all good advice. My dad wasn't around, so I dealt with my mom's boyfriends. Confidence was never big for me. So, having all this advice years later helps to deal with issues now later in my life.
MizCeeDub

Postby Furrball » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 pm

rainbows3 wrote :
> Has your dad lightened up since you have grown up?

Most all dads become your buddy after they drill you for 18 years. His job his to make you tough. If you can survive your dad who was as hard and sometimes harder than the real world then he has given you the confidence to become a man.
Furrball

Postby Xcell » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 am

rainbows3 wrote :
> Has your dad lightened up since you have grown up?
My dad certainly has! He was so strict that some of my friends didnt even want to come to my house because he would yell at them when they did something he didnt like. He had everyones respect but he was really scary. Now all of my friends think my dad is the nicest guy around. He is the most generous man I know and I love him for being so tough on me when i was a kid because now I have the confidence to take anything and keep moving
Xcell

Postby MizCeeDub » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 pm

That is great to hear! So happy for you!
MizCeeDub

Postby Away65 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 am

Furrball wrote :
>> Most all dads become your buddy after they drill you for 18 years. His job his to
> make you tough. If you can survive your dad who was as hard and sometimes harder than
> the real world then he has given you the confidence to become a man.

lol seriously true
Away65

Postby Dock3 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:34 am

BlueJay wrote :
> My dad was very hard on me when I was growing up, he did not let me speak
> to him as if we were equals. He would never have a heart to heart with me
> and when I tried to tell him he was not listening to me he would either
> belt me or ground me and the conversation was over. Some kids have dads
> that are just like this and that makes it very hard to have any confidence
> to approach him about anything. You are almost at his mercy when you have a
> dad like this.

I know what you mean....
Dock3

Postby MizCeeDub » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Sorry you guys had to go through that. I didn't have my dad growing up, so can't relate, but can empathize with you. Must have been tough. Do you find yourselves withdrawn now as adults when you need to talk or communicate emotions or feelings?
MizCeeDub

Postby DaWiseOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 pm

Pops was pretty insane dude but he did work 2 jobs and would freak out when he was woken up.It didnt mess with my confidence because he was cool when the weekend came but sometimes he would yell at me and my brother and say we were nothing compared to him when he was our age and would say how he could have beat the crap out of us if we were around when he was a kid.Made it hard to talk about anything with him and now when he is all calm and older I feel weird like hes gonna start yelling at me again and even though I know nothing would happen it still affects how we act around each other.
DaWiseOne

PreviousNext

Return to My Dad Thinks I am a "Wuss"

Chat: Enter