School Counselor

Is your dad telling you to stop crying and toughen up? How do you get him to listen?

School Counselor

Postby Foiled » Tue May 08, 2012 2:40 pm

When you are young a large part of your day is spent at school where there are professional counselors available for you.They probably wont be able to stop your dad from being so tough on you but they might be able to give you tips and show you ways of dealing with someone who is like your dad.Bring a notepad and take notes because you should get several different ways from your counselor and you dont want to forget anything because they are giving you important information. Dont ever forget that your parents will always love you no matter if they hurt your feelings sometimes and you disagree you are still their child.
Foiled

Re: School Counselor

Postby SlyGuy » Thu May 10, 2012 2:33 pm

My school counselor helped me talk to my alcoholic dad.....I was in high school and my father would get home late from working all day and he would start drinking until he would drunk that he would wake everyone in the house up in the middle of the night and if we ever said anything he would tell us to be quiet because it was his house. He used to bully the entire family into going with whatever he wanted or he would get in your face and scream and make you cry.This would happen to all of us. I told my school counselor and she set up a meeting with the family to talk about how him getting drunk was making family problems. It was the first time that he ever listened to anyone about hsi actions. After that he stopped drinking after work and would wake up in the mornings so we could see him and have breakfast with him. I think that your school counselor will help you if you ask them because they like to make everyones life better. Now we have a happy family again.
SlyGuy

Postby FullofBeauty » Tue May 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Thank you for sharing SlyGuy because a lot of kids dont think that their counselor will understand because their teachers and parents dont. It is not an adult to kid communication problem but more of a training problem. Teachers are not really trained to deal qith traumatic stress that kids go through. Their job is to teach so that is what they do best. A counselor has an entire different approach to solving the problem which addresses all sides and gives the student an understanding of why things are happening in their lives.
FullofBeauty

Postby Boddabing » Thu May 17, 2012 1:56 pm

You can show up to school early every day and have a brief session with your counselor every morning to go over anything bad that happened at home and get advice. They absolutely love helping students with problems so if you really are having a hard time talking to your dad then stop wasting time and go get the help that you need.
Boddabing

Postby 1cooldude » Thu May 31, 2012 1:14 pm

After you trust your counselor has your back you can schedule an appointment where they can talk to your parent while you are not in the room. This way they can be your voice for you and make your father understand that you dont have the ability to stand up for yourself because the biggest bully is the guy who is supposed to be on their side. A counselor can get through to your dad because they know how to put it into terms that he can understand.
1cooldude

Postby BOBBY » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Will school counselors meet parents at their home if the hours from their job dont work with the hours of the counselor?
BOBBY

Postby Murray » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Probably not at home because that might be not the appropriate place but definately will arrange something because work cannot be skipped but the teacher will make time if things need to be discussed.
Murray

Postby minister » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:42 pm

BOBBY wrote :
> Will school counselors meet parents at their home if the hours from their
> job dont work with the hours of the counselor?

I think that ethically that is the wrong move because it could cause problems when the other students hear and want the teacher to come to their house too and have dinner. Kids will get confused why she goes to one students house and not another so probably a phone conference could be arranged if the scheduling doesnt work out.
minister

Postby KaraD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:24 am

They are hired to make sure that every kid has their internal problems solved if not at least addressed so any thing that you would need im sure will be accomidated for you.
KaraD

Postby WRONGED » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 am

Making an appointment on a weekend is not out of the question. You can arrange your time to be for a weekend if you cannot take the time to come to parent/teacher night. Meeting you at a place other than your house or school is not uncommon.
WRONGED

Next

Return to My Dad Thinks I am a "Wuss"

Chat: Enter