Talk to another family member about it

Is your dad telling you to stop crying and toughen up? How do you get him to listen?

Re: Talk to another family member about it

Postby spurs22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 pm

You can always call a family meeting so that everyone gets the chance to talk and be heard.My family used to work the biggest problems out by having a family meeting and talking things out.
spurs22

Postby MizCeeDub » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 am

sweetbritney wrote :
> If your dad is coming down hard on you, try going to another family member
> (mother, grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, etc). Maybe they can
> talk to your dad for you. Don't be ashamed or feel like a
> "wuss", just remember that your dad may have been raised that way
> and may not know how to approach the situation appropriately.
This is true. My mom was raised that way and treated me that way. I went to my older sister who acted as my protector until she went to college. My mom slipped into a bad depression when I was 10 and I had to take care of her. Hard to show love to someone who has berated me for so long. But, I wanted her to love me. So, I would go to school, come home and clean, cook her dinner and sit in her bed while she slept. For months, she never left her bed... for years I looked after her. Role reversal, but I wasn't mean to her like she was to me. Aon as she got better, went back to the same thing. I told my granny, her mom, and she Wold get after her. But her mom, my granny, did the same thing to her. Its a cycle. Tell anyone who will help, but make sure its not the enabler of the behavior.
MizCeeDub

Postby watts » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Thats too young to have to grow up like that and take care of your mother. Do you and your mother have a relationship now? What about your sister that protected you?
watts

Postby MizCeeDub » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 pm

watts wrote :
> Thats too young to have to grow up like that and take care of your mother.
> Do you and your mother have a relationship now? What about your sister that
> protected you?
Me and my mom are trying. Just recently, she admitted that out of her 3girls, me being the youngest, I had it worse, and if anyone should hate her, it should be me. When she told me that, I wanted to scream "its about damn time"! But, instead, we are building. I don't fully trust her, nor do I feel that the abuse is over, but she feels remorseful. My sister, she lives in another state an we are closer than we were after she left for college. I hardly saw her for years! Thank you for asking... ;)
MizCeeDub

Postby CorpHunt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:27 pm

I can always rely on my brother to help me when I need something to talk about. He is 5 years older so every time when we was growing up he would be my voice when I lost it and still today he keeps me grounded about family issues with my and my dad. Having problems with your family is normal but not forgiving them is not.
CorpHunt

Postby DoraLynn » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Older siblings always have your back. Even if you guys don't get along. Something about them want in to defend you.
DoraLynn

Postby PowerJ » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:12 pm

DoraLynn wrote :
> Older siblings always have your back. Even if you guys don't get along.
> Something about them want in to defend you.

True my brother and I fought all the time but if someone did something to either of us then you would have a problem with both of us
PowerJ

Postby Northside » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:16 am

spurs22 wrote :
> You can always call a family meeting so that everyone gets the chance to
> talk and be heard.My family used to work the biggest problems out by having
> a family meeting and talking things out.

We had a chalkboard growing up that you would write things down you wanted to talk about and when it filled up we sat down and talked about it.
Northside

Previous

Return to My Dad Thinks I am a "Wuss"

Chat: Enter