Talk to another family member about it

Is your dad telling you to stop crying and toughen up? How do you get him to listen?

Talk to another family member about it

Postby sweetbritney » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:27 pm

If your dad is coming down hard on you, try going to another family member (mother, grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, etc). Maybe they can talk to your dad for you. Don't be ashamed or feel like a "wuss", just remember that your dad may have been raised that way and may not know how to approach the situation appropriately.
sweetbritney

Re: Talk to another family member about it

Postby BoarderChika » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 am

Yes I think if you tell your mother or your grandmother that your father is being extra mean then they will come give him a lesson in senstivity and remind him that he was a boy once too. Its hard to understand but your dad's heart is in the right place he just is doing what he thinks will work the best.
BoarderChika

Postby snowing » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:28 pm

In my family my dad is in charge so I cant really go to anyone for help or he would get even more mad.When I try to tell my dad that I am not happy about something he gets mad like I am not greatful for the things he already does and blows up on me so how can you talk to your dad if he has a really short temper?
snowing

Postby special » Fri May 04, 2012 9:44 am

snowing wrote :
> In my family my dad is in charge so I cant really go to anyone for help or
> he would get even more mad.When I try to tell my dad that I am not happy
> about something he gets mad like I am not greatful for the things he
> already does and blows up on me so how can you talk to your dad if he has a
> really short temper?

I would try talking first about how you are afraid to talk to him about certain things because his temper scares you. Sometimes adults forget how intimidating an agry adult can be. Kids are afraid of the unknown and punishments are always unknown. Giving your child a person to talk to at home is invaluable for their growing process. If you show them that you will get angry at each bad news story that they give you they will learn to keep it from you and go elsewhere. Explain to your dad that you have something important to talk to him about but you want him to remain calm while you are having a conversation. If he starts to lose his temper just stop talking to him and walk away from the situation. Walking away will put out the fire and maybe make him think about using a different approach when he speaks with you.
special

Postby ReadE » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:58 am

The women in the family will be more understanding of your problems and if you tell them you are afraid to talk to the men they will be your voice and help you be heard
ReadE

Postby indirect » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Unlces and aunts sometimes can talk to your parents because they grew up together and they can remind them of their faults when they grew up so it will remind them you have to grow.
indirect

Postby wrinkle » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:07 am

indirect wrote :
> Unlces and aunts sometimes can talk to your parents because they grew up
> together and they can remind them of their faults when they grew up so it
> will remind them you have to grow.

Everyone needs a little reminder that they werent always as strong as they are now. Parents can forget what its like to be a kid and sometimes you need other family to help you out and get through to them.
wrinkle

Postby PawPrint » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 am

ReadE wrote :
> The women in the family will be more understanding of your problems and if
> you tell them you are afraid to talk to the men they will be your voice and
> help you be heard

Always <3
PawPrint

Postby Guide » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Parents tend to ignore kids when they complain about being mistreated.Their initial reaction is to take offense and think you are calling them a bad parent. They will tell you that you dont know how good you have it and you should be happy. You can go crazy having this same conversation over and over with your parents. Reaching out to your Aunt or Uncle and telling them exactly what is going on they might have a better chance at conveying your message so you have results instead of more trouble.
Guide

Postby FlickeringLight » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Women always can help get through to the men in your family. If you are having a problem with mom that might be a little bit more tough ;)
FlickeringLight

Next

Return to My Dad Thinks I am a "Wuss"

Chat: Enter